The Laboratory collection features both historical and current images of the James J. Howard Marine Sciences Laboratory facilities, as well as its staff at work, Laboratory Open Houses, and images of the Laboratory's first director, Dr. Lionel A. Walford.
Lionel A. Walford Library, James J. Howard Marine Sciences Laboratory
After the dedication ceremony, Dr. Lionel A. Walford shows Steward Udall, Secretary of the Interior, and Henry “Hal” Lyman plankton samples during a tour of the Laboratory. Henry Lyman, publisher of Salt-Water Sportsman and author of several popular fishing books, introduced the speakers at the ceremony at which over two hundred guests celebrated the launch of the first federal scientific laboratory devoted solely to marine recreational gamefish research. The Laboratory was established under the auspices of the 1959 Marine Game Fish Act as the research arm of the Department of the Interior’s newly created Bureau of Sport Fisheries. Authorized by Congressional action at the behest of conservation groups, the Laboratory was modestly funded and staffed. Dr. Walford, an eminent biologist and former Chief of the Branch of Fishery Biology (USFWS), was appointed as the Laboratory Director. A building that was constructed in 1899 and which once served as an Army hospital in the historic Fort Hancock section of Sandy Hook was selected and retrofitted for use as the anchor of the Laboratory campus. The New Jersey location was selected for its ecological importance and the region’s significant recreational fishing industry.
Black and white print, archival folder storage box, lab_p_000191, Walford Library
This item is in the public domain. While there are no restrictions on use, we would appreciate if you provided credit when you use this item to the: “U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, National Marine Fisheries Service, James J. Howard Marine Sciences Laboratory, Highlands, NJ.”
For additional questions, contact the Lionel A. Walford Library at firstname.lastname@example.org
This item is part of a collection of materials, including photographic prints, slides, and negatives, that were maintained in various locations within the James J. Howard Marine Sciences Laboratory since their origination in the late 1960's, and/or donated to the Library upon staff retirement. All materials are part of the Laboratory's Lionel A. Walford Library permanent collection.