The Laboratory collection features both historical and current images of the James J. Howard Marine Sciences Laboratory facilities, as well as its staff at work, Laboratory Open Houses, and images of the Laboratory's first director, Dr. Lionel A. Walford.
Lionel A. Walford Library, James J. Howard Marine Sciences Laboratory
Guests at the September 28, 1961 dedication of the Sandy Hook Marine Laboratory congregate on the lawn in front of the “new” Laboratory building. The building, constructed in 1899 as an Army hospital in the historic Fort Hancock section of Sandy Hook, was retrofitted for use as a research laboratory. Situated on Officer’s Row, which looks out onto the Sandy Hook Bay, the New Jersey Laboratory location was selected for its ecological importance and the region’s significant recreational fishing industry. Also pictured is the Coast Guard vessel CG-31323, which was on display during the dedication program. Over two hundred guests were invited to the dedication of the Laboratory, the first federal scientific laboratory devoted solely to marine gamefish research. The Laboratory was established under the auspices of the 1959 Marine Game Fish Act as the research arm of the Department of the Interior’s newly created Bureau of Sport Fisheries. Authorized by Congressional action at the behest of conservation groups, the Laboratory was modestly funded and staffed. Dr. Lionel A. Walford, an eminent biologist and former Chief of the Branch of Fishery Biology (USFWS), was appointed as the Laboratory Director. Notable guests at the dedication ceremony include Stewart L. Udall, Secretary of the Interior; New Jersey Senators Harrison A. Williams, Jr. and Clifford P. Case; Henry Lyman, the editor of the Salt Water Sportsman; and the Army’s Colonel Charles E. McArdle, Commanding Officer of Fort Hancock.
Black and white print, archival folder storage box, lab_p_000024, Walford Library
This item is in the public domain. While there are no restrictions on use, we would appreciate if you provided credit when you use this item to the: “U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, National Marine Fisheries Service, James J. Howard Marine Sciences Laboratory, Highlands, NJ.”
For additional questions, contact the Lionel A. Walford Library at email@example.com
This item is part of a collection of materials, including photographic prints, slides, and negatives, that were maintained in various locations within the James J. Howard Marine Sciences Laboratory since their origination in the late 1960's, and/or donated to the Library upon staff retirement. All materials are part of the Laboratory's Lionel A. Walford Library permanent collection.